Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life's a zoo!

Hello again! Sorry for the delay, but yesterday ended up being a very busy day and I only managed to get my pictures uploaded from the weekend and didn't get a chance to put them up here before I crashed.

The weekend away was good - I spent it with one of my best friends from college and her husband. They live about 2 hours away from me, so we try to see each other once a month if possible. We planned to have a pretty low-key weekend and I think we were quite successful! The big highlight of the weekend was going to the zoo over there. We went to the John Ball Zoo http://www.johnballzoosociety.org/ which is in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It's not a huge zoo like the Detroit Zoo, but it's beautifully kept and they have a nice variety of animals.



They had a bunch of wallabies with babies in the pouch ...



One of the lady lions in their new lion exhibit.


I'm on the left in the blue, Eren's in the green. The monkeys are monkeys!


and oh my GOODNESS! These little cats were adorable - they were called Black Footed Cats and were so tiny - smaller than my full grown house cat and CUTER than cute! There were 2 in there and it was so hard to get decent pictures because they were in a dark area inside, but if could have taken one home, I would have!

They also have a nice Penguinarium/Aquarium area, complete with a tide pool - as the tide was going down, these little guys were hanging on for all they were worth!



Finally, a couple of penguin pictures - 'cause they're my favorite! Sorry they're a little dark, but I had to share them anyways!

Eren is a crafter as well - she mostly knits and was working on a beautiful baby sweater, but she is looking at delving into her second quilt. Her first was a wedding gift for a friend and she tackled appliqued circles and made up her own pattern. It turned out beautiful, but yes, she's crazy! This quilt will be for her, and we picked up 14 of the 18 colors the pattern called for ...






Her mom made her the beautiful pillow and we're pulling the colors from there - isn't it going to be gorgeous?




Finally, here is what I've been working on - putting the binding on my monster of a first quilt. It was a block of the month from a community on LiveJournal. It's not great, but I did learn a ton.



I'm a little over half done with the binding. Is it just me or is hand sewing the binding down in the back the slowest process ever?! Anyone have any tips for making it go faster. Getting to the halfway point has taken like 4 or 5 movies. Seriously, I may just make quilt tops for the rest of my life and not bother with the finishing!!!


On that note, I think I'll save the pictures of what's on deck for the next post, which will probably go up today. I just don't want to push the picture limits yet!

Thanks for stopping by!

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment